/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Difference between Registry and RemoveRegistry table

Read MSDN documentation but couldn't make out the difference.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (8)

Posted by: anonymous_9363 14 years ago
Red Belt
...and the table's name doesn't provide the teeniest clue-ette?

Registry adds registry keys, values and /or data. It can also be used to delete keys and their underlying values and data. It is read by the WriteRegistryValues and RemoveRegistryValues actions.

RemoveRegistry deletes registry keys, values and/or data. It cannot be used to add. It is read by the RemoveRegistryValues action.
Posted by: milindsm 14 years ago
Blue Belt
OK.. Got it...!!!

I added couple of entries to RemoveRegistry table. These are the entries that get created during application execution and NOT during installation (by reading them from Registry table).

Now the problem I am facing is,

1. Any such key that was created during installation gets removed only at the time of next Install and NOT during the current un-installation.
2. If condition is specified for RemoveRegistryValues action as REMOVE="ALL" then the specified key doesn't get deleted at all; neither during installation nor during un-installation.

F1 please!!!
Posted by: slay_u 14 years ago
Orange Belt
Check which component are you referencing in your Removefile table, reference a component which holds your main exe file(or any of your component which hold a PE file- just to be sure that they get uninstalled when the app is uninstalled) and make sure that component is getting uninstalled first, then there should be no reason for your registry not getting uinstalled.....provided you have given the right registry key etc
Red Belt
Don't condition that action: it's perfectly valid for it to execute during installation and uninstallation. As stated, make sure the component containing your registry removal is "attached" to a feature which will be uninstalled.
Posted by: jmcfadyen 14 years ago
5th Degree Black Belt
check the last column of the table.
Posted by: steve7680768 14 years ago
Yellow Belt
I am not pretty much sure about that..
Let me confirm it from my brother then I will reply you with the authenticated source....
Posted by: pjgeutjens 14 years ago
Red Belt
I added couple of entries to RemoveRegistry table. These are the entries that get created during application execution and NOT during installation (by reading them from Registry table).

this I think is.. well... wrong, or to be precise, incomplete. I had a bit of a discussion with Ian on this topic recently (in this thread), so here's how I decided they work:

Registry Table : Write Reg Keys / values during INSTALL, uninstall Reg Keys /Values during UNINSTALL
RemoveRegistry Table: Remove Reg Keys / Values during INSTALL (and uninstall? <- not sure)
Red Belt
RemoveRegistry Table: Remove Reg Keys / Values during INSTALL (and uninstall? <- not sure) Well, The RemoveRegistryValues action (which by default isn't conditioned) reads the RemoveRegistry table so unless a condition is added, it'll run during install and uninstall.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ