/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Recently I tried to install Wise Package Studio and got the following message. "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation".

For my particular instance it was fixed by changing a value in the registry under

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Name - DisableMSI Type - REG_DWORD 0 = enable

This was originally set to 1.

Hope this helps out someone else who comes across this error.

During my search I also found that there is a Windows Installer 2.0 Bug which sometimes throws up this message. If there is a trace of an application previously having been installed, and you are trying to re-install it, you may get the above error. You can fix this by going to the registry to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\

Browse through and find your product. Delete the key relating to your product and this should allow the application to install. I haven't had the opportunity to check this out. But just in case someone is reading this and might need this resolution give it a go.

Y.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (7)

Posted by: levene 12 years ago
Yellow Belt
Yes Thankyou

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

DisableMSI Type = 0 ( enable MSI )

This was originally set to 1 (disable MSI )

Also try this key ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{A541BD3D-1A70-4D7B-BC99-CF1ADFC0DE9F}Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer

Change this value to 1 - to disable the Administrator only install a.k.a
anyone can do it.

If all fails .... The system Administrator has set policies
to prevent this installation,,,,, ensure you are logged on as Administrator
or any Administrative User privileges or Right click setup.exe and Run As Administrator

Comments:
  • where do I go to the above to change the disable MS! type from 0 to 1? - lindy 11 years ago
Posted by: MSIPackager 14 years ago
3rd Degree Black Belt
As the registry path suggests these settings are managed by AD group policy. Changing them is OK for testing purposes but any permanent changes required to this (or any other policy setting) should be considered and implemented by your group policy administrator.

A value of 1 means that Windows Installer is only enabled for managed deployments (read AD or SMS)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368304(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369784(VS.85).aspx

It's normally used to secure desktops and in conjunction with the AlwaysInstallElevated setting/s

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367561(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372395(VS.85).aspx

Hope this helps,
Rob.
Posted by: wiseapp 18 years ago
Second Degree Green Belt
Hi 5uf:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ normally fixes the error that u described and most of the times it worked with me. Did'nt know abt the first key thanks for sharing the knowledge though.
Posted by: patoruso 15 years ago
Yellow Belt
to y0u5uf:

thanks for the tip it helped me solve a problem with alcohol 120% not installing correctly
Posted by: dfsahyoun 14 years ago
Yellow Belt
I am having the same problem and am unable to install ESEt Smart Security. How can I access: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Thanks
Posted by: dfsahyoun 14 years ago
Yellow Belt
This is a personal computer and it is not allowing me to install the anti virus smart security from ESET software. Please walk me through... thanks
Posted by: ateam 10 years ago
White Belt

I have the same problem, could you please tell me how I can access this to change, I am a beginner :(

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ