/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

editing an MSI with orca

hello forum,

i was redirected here from microsoft forums because they said i would have a better chance getting an answer here.

i am trying to automate the installation of LogMeIn free edition.

what i want to do is change the logmein.msi so that the next and back type buttons will accept alt commands. (eg Alt+n is next)

i use AutoIt to automate all my installers because i can wrap the msi or exe in the autoit executable and autoit can then extract it, install it and delete it with me just clicking once. the way i use autoit, it sends simulated keystrokes to the installer but the alt functions are disabled for the logmein msi.

is there a way to change that with orca?

i compared button options in the control table with the orca.msi and the logmein.msi, but i cant find anything that seems to different.

this is my first time using orca, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (3)

Posted by: yuriv 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
The logmein.msi uses properties to display text on their buttons (to support multiple languages). The easiest way to work around this is to simply replace the property by the value you want.

Example:
Open logmein.msi and go to the control table
Look for the line where field Dialog = WelcomeDlg and field Control = Next
Change field Text from [ButtonText_Next] to &Next >
Save the MSI and run it to see if it works

Of course I would like to recommend you to create a transform for this and avoid editing in vendor MSI's.
Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
You don't need AutoIt (or anything similar) to automate MSI installations, since the capability to be installed without user interaction is built in.

Use Orca to create a transform, if you need to change any properties and apply that transform at the command line. If your install is a simple 'Next', 'Next', 'Next' affair, you don't even need a transform. With no transform:MSIEXEC /i [path_to_and_name_of_MSI] /L*V %temp%\[log_file_name] /QN. With a transform:MSIEXEC /i [path_to_and_name_of_MSI] TRANSFORMS="[path_to_and_name_of_MST]" /L*V %temp%\[log_file_name] /QN.
Posted by: rogerrabbitsclone 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
i know i can do it that way, but i want to add a little gui to prompt me for UN/PW/account info. and i insist on doing it the hard way.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ