/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Change File type associations with GPO?

Is it possible to change file type associations with a GPO?
example:

i want to create a GPO who does that .rm files(real media) has windows media player as defaul player?

Anyone knows about this and can tell me how to do it, would be realy helpful!!

Cheers!!

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (1)

Posted by: Sweede 18 years ago
Second Degree Green Belt
Hi

If you know what registry setting that had to be changed you can put this inside MSI package

IF the setting is a user setting f.ex

I think it could be some where in registry like this place:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList]

When the setting is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

You have to add it as a USER Package and to install at logon

Go to User Configuration | Software Settings | Software installation | Right mouse | New package | select file

select Advanced | on Deployment tab select

Deployment type = Assigned

Deployment options:

select : Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management

select : Install this application at logon

Installation user interface option:

Select : Maximum

I would use Install Shield Adminstudio or Wise package studio to make snapshot before and after making the realplayer

changes.

Sweede ;-)
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ