/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

ALLUSERS=1 or =2?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an official position here on this questions. Me and a colleague are at a stand still on the issue. So I'm looking for an official document/web page that explains the clear difference between the two...

If you can help, I'll take it!

Googling it up to now has given me different results!

Thanks!!!

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (13)

Posted by: pmarshbu 11 years ago
Orange Belt
The answers are located on MSDN @ http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=allusers%3D1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itninja.com%2Fquestion%2Fallusers-1-or-2&ei=KmR7T_HlMNSmsALR67GNAw&usg=AFQjCNFX91Gv40bchxqoYJZON24agO9RKw

Comments:
  • Sorry... I meant
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367559(v=vs.85).aspx
    Where is the edit button? - pmarshbu 11 years ago
Posted by: anonymous_9363 15 years ago
Red Belt
ORIGINAL: Fau
Googling it up to now has given me different results!
Really?!? Well, I used the search term

. "windows installer" +ALLUSERS

and got this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367559(VS.85).aspx as the first hit. If anyone feels like arguing the toss with Microsoft, feel free.
Posted by: AngelD 15 years ago
Red Belt
TK,

Yeah I read that from the link Ian provided.
However I can't seem to understand how the "property acts differently depending on the operating system".

Windows XP and 2000 performs either a per-machine or per-user depending on the user's privileges when ALLUSERS=2; admin or regular user.

For Windows Vista and ALLUSERS=2 it also does this if I interpret the information correctly.
If the user decided to enter the admin credentials in the UAC/LUA dialog or whatever MS is calling it now ;) it will perform a per-machine as the user will now be elevated with admin privileges, same as for XP & 2K. If the user for some reason fail to provide the correct credentials (password) the installation fails. So it seems that on Vista a per-user install will be performed if the user does not enter the admin credentials meaning; normal user without elevation.
So the three operating systems described seems to work the same when ALLSERS=2 IMO.

If you do not agree or have any real-life experience please post your details.

/Kim
Posted by: turbokitty 15 years ago
6th Degree Black Belt
I don't have any real-world experience with it as I've always used ALLUSERS=1. I just remember reading up on this a couple of years ago when researching a technical paper I was writing.
According to the MSDN article, with XP, it sounds like ALLUSERS=2 doesn't fall back to a per-user install if the admin credentials aren't there. It doesn't explicitly say that, but it's very odd that they call out XP and 2000 seperately when the behaviour is the same?
Also, with Vista it doesn't automatically fall back to a per-user install... which is a different behaviour.
The only way to find out is to test it... but I'm not that bored today. It would be nice to settle the issue though.

As an aside, I can't see why anyone would want to use ALLUSERS=2.
Red Belt
According to the MSDN article, with XP, it sounds like ALLUSERS=2 doesn't fall back to a per-user install if the admin credentials aren't there. It doesn't explicitly say that, but it's very odd that they call out XP and 2000 seperately when the behaviour is the same?
Well, Microsoft's description seems not to be that clear all the time.
I'm sure that if the user is an admin it will perform an per-machine install.

I havn't played a lot with Vista so can't say for sure how the UAC affect is for the ALLUSERS property with a value of 2.
Posted by: dunnpy 15 years ago
Red Belt
Fau,

The way I understand it is:

ALLUSERS=2
Attempt to install per-machine, if not possible attempt per-user

ALLUSERS=1
Attemp to install per-machine, if not possible fail

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong - just my understanding of it.

Thanks,

Dunnpy
Posted by: Fau 15 years ago
Senior Purple Belt
Thanks Ian, that's exactly what I wanted!

Seems I got unlucky on my search...
used ALLUSERS+Property and yielded nothing good... Oh well!
6th Degree Black Belt
Keep in mind this property acts differently depending on the operating system.
Red Belt
ORIGINAL: turbokitty

Keep in mind this property acts differently depending on the operating system.

It does?
Could you elaborate a bit more please

/Kim
6th Degree Black Belt
I went to find a doc on this to reference for you and it's actually detailed in the MSDN article linked above.

[blockquote]Windows Vista: Windows Installer version 4.0 complies with User Account Control (UAC). If the user has user access privileges, and ALLUSERS=2, the installer performs a per-machine installation only if Admin credentials are provided to the UAC dialog box. If UAC is enabled and the correct Admin credentials are not provided, the installation fails with an error stating that administrator privileges are required. If UAC is disabled by the registry key, group policy, or the control panel, the UAC dialog box is not displayed and the installation fails with an error stating that administrator privileges are required.[/blockquote] [blockquote]Windows XP: If the user has user access privileges, and ALLUSERS=2, Windows Installer performs a per-user installation and uses the folders in the user's profile.[/blockquote] [blockquote]Windows 2000: The Windows Installer performs a per-user or per-machine installation depending on the value of the ALLUSERS property. If the ALLUSERS property is not set, the Installer does a per-user installation. If the ALLUSERS property is set to 1, the Installer attempts a per-machine installation. The per-machine installation succeeds only if the user has administrative access privileges on the computer. If the ALLUSERS property is set to 2, the Installer first attempts a per-machine installation. In this case, the per-machine installation succeeds only if the user has administrative access privileges on the computer. Otherwise, the Installer does a per-user installation.[/blockquote]
Senior Purple Belt
Wouldn't a ALLUSERS=1 just solve the issue? I mean, if our base is to have our packages available for everyone on the machine AND ALSO having the msi's installed always always by an Administrator, we could force ALLUSERS=1 and the problem would then be nullified... What do you think?
6th Degree Black Belt
Yes.. if one of your requirements is to always install the app per-machine, then you want to use ALLUSERS=1.
Like I said, I can't imagine why ALLUSERS=2 was even created as an option. Perhaps to facilitate pointless nerdy discussions like this one.
Senior Purple Belt

Yes.. if one of your requirements is to always install the app per-machine, then you want to use ALLUSERS=1.
Like I said, I can't imagine why ALLUSERS=2 was even created as an option. Perhaps to facilitate pointless nerdy discussions like this one.

LOLOLOL!
Oh god, this probably just made my afternoon! Thanks TK! hehehehehe
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ