/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Silent Uninstall of Office 2007

Hi

I'm trying to set an unattended install of Office 2007.
I've tried msome features like :

- msiexec"," /X{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS but the uninstall is not clean, it miss many things (registry entrie, files, icons..) and always reboot !

- setup.exe /uninstall Proplus (like written in the doc) but that silent uninstall needs User input : "Are you sure you want to uninstall ?", "Close" the windows when done, and "Yes" or "No" to reboot.

Anyone got a solution nor ideas ?

thanks a lot

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (10)

Posted by: gmorgan618 16 years ago
Blue Belt
research the use of the Config.XML

Info for 2007 can be found here... http://itninja.com/link/downloads-and-documentation1
Posted by: orlith 16 years ago
Orange Senior Belt
Thanks it help !

I just understand what all topics says !

I create a uninstall.xml file :

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="NO" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" />
<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="Never" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />
<OptionState Id="ProductFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />
</Configuration>

and run setup.exe /config uninstall.xml /uninstall Proplus

And it works very well !

Thansk a lot.
Posted by: cl3tUs 15 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
I have my config file setupthe same way and I'm getting an error that says:

"The Setup configuration file \\server\gold\apps\office2k7\uninstall.xml is not valid. Run Setup again without using a Setup configuration file, or fix the configuration file."

Not sure what to look for. This is pretty new to me for a simple uninstall.
Posted by: anonymous_9363 15 years ago
Red Belt
ORIGINAL: cl3tUs
Not sure what to look for.
Nor me, but I would *guess* that your XML is incorrectly formatted, more specifically, it's probably missing a closing 'marker'.

XML is essentially the same as HTML, i.e. every tag (element, node, whatever) needs a closing tag. For example, in HTML, if you use [bold], you need to end the emboldening with [/bold]. Note that I'm using '[' rather than '<' in order to not screw up any formatting on *this* page. In XML, lots of people (including Microsoft) use the shortcut (i.e. lazy) method of closing, i.e. with just a slash. When they mix the two (full and lazy) it just confuses newcomers. In your file, for example, the 'Configuration' tag is closed properly (with '/Configuration') but 'OptionState' is not.. I'd walk through the file and add proper closing tags then re-test.
Posted by: cl3tUs 15 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
I have an opening and the closing on the config, but not sure if those other items need to be closed. I ended up just running the ProPlus in the ProPlus.WW folder with the uninstall switch, problem is that now, it wants to reboot, even with the /norestart switch applied, but that's okay with us because with best practice, we like to reboot after certain program install/uninstalls.
Posted by: TXTechie 15 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
I am using the following command-line in an attempt to uninstall Office
Standard 2007 silently:

\\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3\setup.exe /config \\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3\Standard.WW\config_silent.xml /uninstall Standard

I receive a Yes/No prompt asking "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft Office Standard 2007 from your computer?" The config_silent.xml file contains the following:

<Configuration Product="Standard">
<!-- <Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" /> -->
<!-- <Setting Id="Reboot" Value="Never" /> -->
<!-- <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" /> -->
</Configuration>

Can someone help me get rid of this prompt so that I can automate the uninstall silently?
Posted by: spartacus 15 years ago
Black Belt
ORIGINAL: TXTechie

I am using the following command-line in an attempt to uninstall Office
Standard 2007 silently:

\\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3\setup.exe /config \\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3\Standard.WW\config_silent.xml /uninstall Standard

I receive a Yes/No prompt asking "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft Office Standard 2007 from your computer?" The config_silent.xml file contains the following:

<!-- <Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" /> -->
<!-- <Setting Id="Reboot" Value="Never" /> -->
<!-- <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" /> -->
</Configuration>

Can someone help me get rid of this prompt so that I can automate the uninstall silently?

Your XML file has all the important lines commented out with the <!-- and --> tags, try the following :

<Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />
</Configuration>

Regards,

Spartacus
Posted by: TXTechie 15 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Your XML file has all the important lines commented out with the <!-- and --> tags, try the following :

<Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" />
</Configuration>

Regards,

Spartacus

Thank you very much, Spartacus - you are correct! I guess it pays to learn some XML basics. [8D]

TX Techie
Posted by: chichora123 13 years ago
Fourth Degree Green Belt
Sorry for hacking this but can i accomplish this without uninstalling outlook 2007 from the machine? I want to uninstall everything else but outlook can someone help me what would be the script or if i can define what features to uninstall instead of teh full office 2007? Please advise

My script for ProPlus

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">
</Configuration>
Posted by: cl3tUs 13 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
chichora: I have an idea... What if you go to the Office 2k7 setup.exe file and run "setup.exe /admin" in a command prompt? You may be able to edit a configuration to not include anything but Outlook 2k7, then, run the setup file as if you were installing Office 2k7and have it use that config file and it should (hopefully) remove all other products.

I'm curious to see if it works. I've not been in this work for a bit now, but still have a strong passion for it. Boyd.Gross@Chickasaw.net is my e-mail. I can check that faster than the forum if you want to message me.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ