/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Uninstall of Old Flash and reinstall of Flash 9.0 as an msi package

I found this batch file in the packages section. I want to "re-package" this batch file as an msi and deploy it via group policy and active directory.

I created a custom action and wrapped this batch file. However I keep getting an error message:

"Another installation is already in progress". This is probably being caused by one msi package being called from within MY ORIGINAL WRAPPER msi package.

Is there a ""simple"" way to take this batch file and create an msi so that it can be deployed?

Or is there another way???

REM This command uninstalls Older version of Flash. It then installs Flash Player V9

:CHECKFLASHLEGACY
REM This will uninstall a legacy Flash Player
if exist "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\flash.ocx" (goto DELETEFLASHLEGACY) ELSE (goto CHECKFLASH8X)

:DELETEFLASHLEGACY
uninstall_flash_player.exe /silent

:CHECKFLASH8X
REM This will remove an advertised version of Flash 8
if exist "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{6815FCDD-401D-481E-BA88-31B4754C2B46}" (goto UNINSTALLFLASH8X) ELSE (goto INSTALLFLASH9)

:UNINSTALLFLASH8X
uninstall_flash_player.exe /silent

INSTALLFLASH9
msiexec.exe /i install_flash_player_active_x.msi /qb

:EOF

Thanks again for any help on this.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (6)

Posted by: Zeke 17 years ago
Orange Belt
AdminStudio Professional 6.0.

By the way I found this very helpful article on the adobe website. It looks like this might solve some of my problems:

Flash Player 9 MSI installation issues
Topic update: July 21, 2006
Issue
Licensed users of the Flash Player Distribution License (www.macromedia.com/licensing) may download an MSI installer which can be used for distributed installations of Flash Player. In certain circumstances, the Flash Player 9 MSI may have the following issues:

When you run the Flash Player 9 MSI silently using the /quiet or /qn switch, the uninstaller built into the MSI to remove previous Flash Players fails to be silent and prompts an "uninstallation complete" dialog.

If the Flash Player folder at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash contains a FlashPlayerTrust folder with config (CFG) files, that folder will be removed. Placing config files in this location is a technique used to allow all users on the machine access to local CD drives and other Flash Player settings (see "Security Changes in Flash Player 8" on the Adobe website at www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/fplayer8_security.html for more information.)

Note: This issue should not affect you if you installed Flash Player 8 or 9 from the internet. Only machines with Flash Player 8 installed by the MSI installers should observe this issue. The Flash Player Active X control version 8,0,24,0 (the Flash8a.ocx file) released in April 2006 may cause this issue if Flash Player 8 was installed by the MSI installers. Machines with the refreshed version of the Flash Player ActiveX control (the Flash8b.ocx file) should not experience this issue.

Solution

You can use the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to resolve the silent uninstall issue and the removal of FlashPlayerTrust issue. For more information, see article 290301 on the Microsoft website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us.

However, using the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility introduces a new issue. After you run the msizapp.exe portion of Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, the Flash8.ocx file remains in the folder in a locked state.

To resolve all of the above Flash Player 9 MSI Installation issues, modify your Flash Player MSI distribution to use the following multiple steps, in this order:

Run Msizap.exe T {5E8A1B08-0FBD-4543-9646-F2C2D0D05750}. This removes the damaged registry items causing the initial silent installation and FlashPlayerTrust failures.

Run either Flash Player Uninstaller OR the Flash Player Admin uninstaller to remove Flash8a.ocx:

Find information on the Flash Player Admin uninstaller in TechNote 4da116d3, "Installation issues with Flash Player 7.0.63.0 or 8.0.24.0 and later."
Download the Flash Player Uninstaller v3.0.0.19 from TechNote tn_14157, "How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control."

Note: Uninstfl.exe is included with previously successful Flash installations. To unlock and delete Flash8a.ocx, run it with -q as follows:
Uninstfl.exe –q Flash8a.ocx

Finally run Flash Player 9 MSI with /quiet or /qn. This should run silently and not effect FlashPlayerTrust.

I will try to follow the steps above and see if I have any luck. Will post my findings here.

Thanks again for a great forum!
Posted by: AngelD 17 years ago
Red Belt
You can use AppSearch to search for existing files/registry and if found the specified PROPERTY (ex. DELETEFLASHLEGACY) will be created.
Add a custom action to uninstall these legacy installations with a condition of "If DELETEFLASHLEGACY".
Same goes for UNINSTALLFLASH8X.
Orange Belt
Thanks AngelID.

I am not familiar with APPSearch - can you provide me a bit more detail on what I should be doing - a sort of step by step approach.

I will also look at the APPSearch video here for some guidance.

Thanks again
Red Belt
What packaging tool are you using?
Orange Belt
I created a custom action with these 4 steps outlined above.

This uninstalled the old flash and I was able to install flash 9 with no hitches!

For the record, I find the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard very handy - see reference on this site: http://itninja.com/link/timbuktu-pro5 for details.
Red Belt
Can help you will adminstudio as I don't use it but the information from the article sounds the way to go.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ