/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

CISCO VPN CLIENT 4.8 AD INSTALLATION

I am having problems getting the Cisco VPN Client version 4.8.x to install. I tried using the original msi and deploying it through active directory. I am installing it off of a server running Windows 2000 through active directory/group policy. I also tried the installation from a win 2000 server to a win xp pro machine, and still it did not complete the installation.
The test workstation I am trying to install it on, will say, Installing Cisco VPN Client....... then after 5 or 6 seconds goes to the login screen. It doesn't install the VPN software. I also tried editing the MSI and again no such luck.
Any ideas???

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (4)

Posted by: madsquirrel21 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
The Cisco VPN client will fail if installed from a network location. You need to run it local. It is funny you posted this. I was checking the site for some help on the same install. I am using CA Software Delivery, but I can use all the same procedures AD uses.
However, I need to uninstall the old VPN Version 4.0.3 and install the 4.8.

Here is what I am thinking of. This will

I am writing a script to copy all files locally to the PC
I created recorded uninstall.iss file and will execute this: C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{5624C000-B109-11D4-9DB4-00E0290FCAC5}\Setup.exe" -l0x9 -s -f1"\\NETWORK SERVER\software\ciscovpnclient\uninstall.iss" VpnUninstall

The machine will reboot, then upon startup I will execute the 4.8 silent install with the recoreded setup.iss. HOWEVER, I do not know how to execute the setup upon the startup? (Maybe I can place a reg hack into the "Run Once" key?) Any ideas? Please? Do I need to start my own
Posted by: aogilmor 17 years ago
9th Degree Black Belt
If you're looking to make it all local, get rid of this bit, -f1"\\NETWORK SERVER\software\ciscovpnclient\uninstall.iss"
you can use reg.exe or an MSI to add your runonce key
Posted by: nheim 17 years ago
10th Degree Black Belt
Hi Jonathan,
to downtrack things like that, you need the log file. With a GPO install this logfile goes to 'systemroot\temp' (normally c:\windows\temp).
In there you need to go to the part, where the installation blows and trows the error.
Regards, Nick
Posted by: Stinger 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
I was also thinking the same way about runing it locally.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ