/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Registry permissions in MSI

Good morning,

I am wondering if anyone could help me out with registry permissions in Wise Package Studio 6. I want my msi do give everyone the rights to specific registry key called let say "wise" with lots or other keys inside. I can set permission to a particular key but not the the main folder within the registry. How can it be done in wise?

Thanks,

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (4)

Posted by: laszlo 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
hi xaviorpl,

if youve got Installshield, it's no problem (like setting permissions on a folder)

if not...

found that at the altiriswebsite:

In order to set permissions for all registry keys under a folder, modify the permissions for the folder. To do this, locate the row in the Registry table that corresponds to the key folder and note the value in the Registry column. In the Lock Permissions table, create a row that reads:

LockObject - <Registry column value>
Table - Registry
Domain - (blank)
User - Everyone
Permission - 268435456

Note that this permission value gives all permissions available for the registry to every user. If you need different permissions, please see the Windows Installer SDK topic 'LockPermissions'

Martin
Posted by: MSIPackager 17 years ago
3rd Degree Black Belt
Windows Installer natively supports setting file and registry permissions via the LockPermissions table but this generally not advised due to the way it works (completely re-writing the ACL) and it's also not very reliable. You can set permissions using this method using WPS.

I'd suggest using something like setacl.exe (free 3rd party util) or secedit (part of the windows OS) as a custom action during your install. There is plenty of info already on this forum about these tools...

There is another util called regini.exe which also comes with windows but again this is not widely used by packagers. Saying that, I have used it once before and it did the job fine...

Regards,
Rob.
Posted by: dm1 17 years ago
Blue Belt
Best way is to use a custom action that runs setacl or regdacl registry permission tool. Lockpermissions table is another way but it replaces the ACL on the key rather than editing it. It also doesnt propagate down to sub keys.

SetAcl works very well I find. Include it in your installation and pass a command line to it.
Posted by: xaviorpl 17 years ago
Orange Belt
Thanks guys,

I was able to solve it using the subinacl.exe from microsoft. After i got subinacl i created the custom action to give the folder full rights.

[subinacl_directory] subinacl.exe /keyreg "REGISTRY_KEY_FOLDER" /GRANT=EVERYONE=F
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ