/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Fireworks 8 admin install defaults to Chinese (Taiwan) language in GP

I'm having trouble creating a Fireworks 8 MSI package, for deployment via GP. I've followed the Adobe TechNote regarding creating administrative installs of all of the MM Studio 8 applications, here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=a4175402

Creating the admin MSI for Fireworks 8 runs fine, with no errors. I used Wise InstallTailor to create an MST file.

When I create a software deployment policy in Group Policy, and add the admin Fireworks 8 MSI package, it says that the installation language is Chinese (Taiwan).

Installation of the MSI package fails silently onto XP clients, unless I go into the Advanced Deployment Options dialogue of the software deployment policy, and tick the checkbox 'Ignore language when deploying this package'.

The resulting installation of Fireworks has English menus in the application itself, but 2 of the application shortcuts in Start | All Programs | Macromedia are in Chinese.

This Adobe TechNote refers to a language-related issue with Fireworks, but as I mentioned above, the admin install was created on an XP client with UK regional settings (only) and no MUI installed. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=b6a0f908

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Adobe/Macromedia won't support any issues with the Admin installs of Macromedia Studio products.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (4)

Posted by: fosteky 17 years ago
Purple Belt
I had the exact same problem. Damn MSI and MST are perfect until you let a GPO grab hold of it, at which point it figures it's Chinese. Worked on this for a day or two, checked everything out about the MSI and MST and confirmed it was 1033 throughout so finally I gave up and just used the ignore language advanced feature of the GPO, and in the MST did away with the two Start Menu shortcuts as they were useless to my end-users anyway.
Posted by: timread 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Sounds like we did the same thing - I opened the MSI in Orca and verified that it was set to 1033 (English) where appropriate.

Thanks for the tip on editing the MST - I now have a fully functioning set of administrative MSI packages for MM Studio 8 [:)]
Posted by: trudolph 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
This is how i fixed it.

For some reason when i tried to add fireworks to a GPO it would be detected as chinese. I had to modify to the actual msi file to fix this. I used a utility called MSIinfo.exe that i download from microsoft as part of the Platform SDK.

I first ran:
MsiInfo.Exe "Macromedia Fireworks 8.msi"

It returned this for the "Template" value:
Intel;1033,2052,1028,1036,1031,1040,1041,1042,1034

I first removed 1028 (chinese) but it then started detect german so i also removed 1031 (German) and then it started working.

I ran this command to rewrite my changes for that value to the msi:
MsiInfo.Exe "Macromedia Fireworks 8.msi" /p Intel;1033,2052,1036,1040,1041,1042,1034
Posted by: KrakaJap 17 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
What about licensing? I've included the License.mlf file but it's still asking me for a license after a succesful network install.

EDIT: Actually I figured out the licensing issue but I'm getting an error about permissions to the registry. The student machines are extremely locked down so giving them power user privileges is not an option. I ran regmon during the initialization (which is where I receive this error) and found 5 registry keys that were denied access to. I gave the student group rights to access these keys, however, they are still receiving this error. Does anyone have any ideas?
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ