/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

set wallpaper background for all users of an XP System

Is there a registry key I can modify for all logged in users of an XP machine that specifies the wallpaper background? Trying to modify on lockdown systems, so executing a package under user credentials for the regkey HKEY Current User will not work.

Thanks for your feedback

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (3)

Posted by: bsieloff 18 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Allright, I think I have an idea on how to change the current users desktop wallpaper without them having rights to modify the registry although I don't have the programming skills (YET) to pull it off. My idea is: to query the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP\Wallpaper to find out what the current path\file.name is. Then, using elevated credentials, copying my wallpaper file over the top of the curretly set wallpaper (just found by the reg key query). If anyone has a vb script that does something like this or has a few minutes to code up something to get me started in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Or... if this is there is a better method, please let me know.

Thanks
Posted by: kire 18 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
If you are using Active Directory you can set this with group policy.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93214.asp

The key you can set is

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Wallpaper

Data type is a string, and points to the unc, or local path to a bmp, jpg or html wallpaper.

To use this Active Desktop needs to be enabled, this can also be done through group policies.

Kire
Posted by: bsieloff 18 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have mentioned that we are unable to use active desktop on our workstations due to conflicts with some of our business apps.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ