/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Convert Inno Setup installer to MSI?

Anybody know of a good way to convert install packages made by Inno Setup into MSI packages? I have Wise Package Studio, but prefer not to use the differential snapshots method to repackage if there is a better way.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (9)

Posted by: smtpinfo 11 years ago
White Belt

The best way to reuse the investment in your Inno Setup project is to wrap the installer in an MSI package. This is not ideal buy way better than repackaging. Just make sure that your MSI package supports updates and uninstall. There is a free tool at www.exemsi.com that supports this. It is a bit technical but it does a good job.

Posted by: AngelD 18 years ago
Red Belt
Have a look @ http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?extract maybe that could help you.
Posted by: jdinkel 18 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Well, it looks like Inno Setup has excellent unattended setup support, so here is what I did.

I first run the program's installation with the /SAVEINF="filename" option to save an answer file. I don't run setup with the answer file though, I just open it to see what all parameters I will need to pass to do a silent setup with the options I want. I then use Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard to create an msi that runs the setup with the /silent switch and all the switches to pass the parameters I got from the answer file to the setup. I also add the uninstall into to the wrapper wizard; with Inno Setup it should be an executable in the programs folder called uninst000.exe and add the /silent switch. Also, be sure to check “Prevent the application from display in the Add/Remove programs list” in the wrapper wizard otherwise it will show up twice.

Details on all the switches that can be used with Inno Setup can be found here: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/setup.html
Posted by: AngelD 18 years ago
Red Belt
That doesn't sound what you wanted in the beginning... why use a wrapper and not repackage it instead?
Senior Yellow Belt
Well, as I said, I prefer NOT to repackage apps, if it can be avoided. The demerits of repackaging can be found just about anywhere that talks about package deployment, and has been discussed extensively on appdeploy.com, so I will not go into details on that subject.

But to put it concisely, a repackaged app using differential snapshots can (usually) only be successfully deployed to a machine exactly like the one it was repackaged on. Using the method I described above with the wrapper, I can deploy this to any machine, with any configuration, and any OS (that supports msi deployed applications) and it will install as smoothly as if I was at the machine invoking the setup executable myself.
Posted by: revizor 18 years ago
Third Degree Blue Belt
Jdinkel,
stop listening to packaging-haters. What kind of alternative do they offer? Give everybody admin rights to install software? Or shell out $$$ on SMS or another software deployment tool?

MSI forever!!![:)]
Senior Yellow Belt
ORIGINAL: revizor

Jdinkel,
stop listening to packaging-haters. What kind of alternative do they offer? Give everybody admin rights to install software? Or shell out $$$ on SMS or another software deployment tool?

MSI forever!!![:)]

No, I do NOT give users admin rights. The method I described about creates an MSI package that can be deployed with all the advantages of MSIs. And if you ask me, it was much easier than taking snapshots, mainly because I didn't have to set up a "clean" system. Even Microsoft has bad things to say about using snapshots to re-package.

The method I used is a LOT easier and results in a better package, so why not do it that way?
Posted by: revizor 18 years ago
Third Degree Blue Belt
I thought custom actions do not run elevated by default... I might be wrong.
No self-healing though...
Senior Yellow Belt
Ok, I guess it's true you don't get self-healing with this method.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ